INITIATIVE: 19
Maneuver: Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Stance: Dancing Blade Form, +1 reach on turn
INTELLIGENCE: 23
CONSTITUTION: 10
CONCENTRATION: 31
Attack: 20 vs. AC, 26 vs. flat-footed AC if 31>monster AC
Damage: 18, 24 if attack vs. flat-footed AC

Kalleth draws his sword, staring at the statue, wondering if it's that damn stone statue that he should be attacking.

“I have seen the seas wracked by wave
And felt the world, it burn.
Yet who can say what stones may crave
When mortal eyes are turn.

“I have not seen rock used to slay
without the force of man
But if by chance you turn away
then just perhaps it can.”

Fucking Caution.... Why am I the only fucking person who understands Caution?
He brings his sword to the ready, when an idea strikes him. Bard, Veraun…try focusing your fire on the statue. Falkor and I can deal with anything else. The rest of you...pick something evil-looking and kill it. His glance shifts immediately to Veraun, and he reconsiders his statement. Correction: pick something that doesn't look like it belongs in this party and kill it. He moves to the nearest enemy, and makes a precision strike with his blade.
synapse8193

Character sheet
Name: Kalleth Korgash, AKA Kalleth Bloodscale, AKA Kalleth Grimcursed
Class and Level: 10th level Warblade
Hit Points:
97/141  (97/141)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Castle Ravenloft Adventure

Post  Jolly on Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Summary
Kalleth: to F7; hit, 0 damage
Bard: to E10
Falcor: E6; hit, 1 damage
Lucca: to DEFEND
Shuun: to F9, DEFEND
Veraun: to F10

All CON checks passed

Falcor and Kalleth charge the lonely statue, hacking into it with their sword and hammer respectively. However, as their weapons connect they feel a reverberation in their weapons and familiar metallic din- their weapons feel as if they've struck solid adamantine. Close inspection, however, yields nothing: the weeping maiden seems to made of mundane rock.

Circle up! cries Lucca as Shuun rushes forward and defends. Bard and Veraun rush in between them, making sure both their flanks are covered, slamming the door behind them.

A good move considering the loud sound of snapping wood that resounds through the empty halls of the Crown of De Sarth....from somewhere behind the party.

Perhaps most peculiar of all, however, is the curious burning sensation the party feels in their eyes.

Checks
Falcor and Kalleth: Will save DC 18. On a failure, roll a Fort save, DC 18, with a -4 penalty
All party members except Lucca: CON check DC 12
Jolly
Admin

Character sheet
Name:
Class and Level:
Hit Points:
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile http://legionrpg.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  synapse8193 on Thu May 05, 2011 5:54 pm

WILL: 21
CONSTITUTION: 19

Kalleth grits his teeth. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. Between whatever is sealed behind the door, and whatever is coming for them. He snatches up the key, rushing to the door. Forcing the key into the lock he shouts, Everyone through! We'll seal the door behind us. We'll be locked in with whatever's inside, but we're headed that way anyway. Better to be locked in with a horrible monster and a ton of treasure than locked out with a horrible monster and...well, just a horrible monster. Falkor and I'll hold it off until everyone can get through the door. Then we follow and get the door sealed. He heaves the door open, urging the others to come through.
synapse8193

Character sheet
Hit Points:
97/141  (97/141)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jolly on Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 am

Kalleth opens the iron door and motions for the others to rush inside. Falcor snorts in frustration at the sturdy stone figurine, but follows his brother’s advice none the less.
As the rest of the party is walking briskly over there comes a sound- one which chills their blood and freezes them in place. A pounding, hard and powerful, against the wooden door they had just closed.

RUN!

Without hesitation or thought the rest of the group makes a full out sprint for the iron door and the banging and crashing gets louder. They rush past the weeping maiden, Kalleth hurrying them on. He half pushes Lucca past him, then glances back to the intersection- and a scream forms in his throat, though nothing issues forth. Was it a trick of light and shadow, had his eyesight grown worse over these many centuries? No, no he was certain.

That statue looks just like the one we saw earlier. In the room with the crystal man. And in the pantry.

Except the first one was praying, not crying.

Really? Because I could have sworn it was crying.

I remember a crying statue too. What about you?

Praying.

Kalleth’s brow furrowed in confusion for a moment.

Wait, in the room with the mound of crystals?

Yes, did you happen to notice what the statue was like in that room?

It wasn’t crying or praying. It was standing at attention by the door.

What?! You’re even more blind than these two. After the fight I personally looked over it and it was praying!

Somewhere in the back of Kalleth’s mind an idea began to form…

…Guys…

Hey, I know what I saw!

I think you’re thinking of that strange skeleton in the room with the table, the guard post. It was standing at attention.

….Guys…

No, it was definitely the room with the crystal.

Right, the one with the crying statue.

It wasn’t crying!

GUYS! Silence falls over the party as they all turn their attention to the warblade who points back into the room they just left. Did…did that statue just move?

The head of the maiden had shifted. Where once it had been weeping, facing the wall, now it was turned 90 degrees. Two carved eyes, empty and without detail, stared blankly at the party.

I have seen the seas wracked by wave,
And felt the world, it burn.

Yet who can say what stones may crave

When mortal eyes are turn.

I have not seen rock used to slay
Without the force of man.

But if by chance you turn away

Then just perhaps it can.

The unseen door at the far end of the chamber finally gave way by the sound of splintering wood. Its destruction snapped the party out of their collective state of awe and fright and they wasted no time in slamming the great iron double doors shut behind them. As they closed, Kalleth saw through the narrowing crack between them the shape of two statues, now with gaping mouths filled with long needle-like teeth and outstretched clawed hands, positioned to rush to the door.

The doors slam tight, the giant dead bolt slides into place and the party is left a dark passage. Up ahead they see two sets of doors on opposite sides of the hall and the passage extending on into darkness.
Jolly
Admin

Character sheet
Name:
Class and Level:
Hit Points:
0/0  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  synapse8193 on Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 am

WILL: 9 (3+3+1+2)
FORT: 22 (15+7+4-4)

You all know how I'm always advocating caution, but I think I'm right to follow my urge to press on from here...quickly. Kalleth turns away from the great door, hoping it holds the statues. There are probably more of those things in here, so be on the look out.

Kalleth starts immediately down the hall, warily eying the doors as he makes his way to one of them. Here goes....

Kalleth throws the first door open, then falls immediately into a defensive stance, sword ready.
synapse8193

Character sheet
Hit Points:
97/141  (97/141)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IntheShadows on Thu May 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Two scimitars flash out to the ready, Lucca behind Kalleth readying defense as the door swings open.
IntheShadows

Character sheet
Name: Allil FearGhail
Class and Level: Rogue
Hit Points:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jolly on Thu May 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Kalleth opens the right door to reveal a small but opulent bedroom. Crimson silk sheets, velvet cushions, and ebony furniture fill the room, all magically preserved. On the desk against the far wall is a lenghthy letter from someone named Barzai.

There are things in this world which do not belong, things which slither and crawl in the darkness below the world. Of their forms there are countless, but their minds are loathsomely comparable in most respects. They speak of our world as tiny and transiet and with a certainty which chills even my blood. And yet, when pressed, all have told me of OTHER THINGS, things from Outside our this miniscule world, where our laws and conceptions play no part. Of them none give my sources more pause than those furtive whispers of what I have dubbed the Hungry Maidens. From the furthest regions of that nightmare world they come, the servants and soul of a Nameless King who gibbers and dreams of dying worlds. So alien, so dreadful is their nature that the World itself fights against them. Through the sight of living things is there presence on our plane proven, and thus the World rejects them. But rather than return, they leave behind an echo, a unique link back to this world. For reasons I do not know, this echo seems to always take the form of a stone maiden. And as soon as that proof of their existance ends, as soon as one looks away, they return to feed, though I know on what. Perhaps if I could learn, I might be of more assistance. You ask me why they weep, Lt.? The answer is to hide their eyes, lest they acidentally aspy each other! Against them there is no defense save this advive- don't blink. Don't even blink. Run, pray if you must, but do not take away your gaze.

There is a a loud smash against the iron door- and a large dent appears.
Jolly
Admin

Character sheet
Name:
Class and Level:
Hit Points:
0/0  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  synapse8193 on Fri May 13, 2011 7:18 am

By the Sons what have we gotten ourselves into? Kalleth murmered as he read. He'd heard myths and rumors of the Outside, despite the Church's best effort to silence such tales. How beings from the outside had slain gods and how the most aberrant, abhorant creatures in the cosmos came from the Beyond.... He'd seen enough things to doubt the Church's position on the matter. This was not something to be trifled with. He burst out of the door, starting to throw doors open, glancing quickly inside for anything of use as he made his way at nearly a run down the hall. His mind whirled with thought as he quickly put together a survival plan...it couldn't really be called a battle plan, since the key component was running. Alright, I want half of us looking forward and half of us looking back at all times until we know what's ahead of us. As many eyes as we can get on these bitches. If anyone blinks I want at least two other men with eyes on these things to keep them still. If we must confront them we look for a large room...somewhere we can get them across from each other.... He pondered a moment. Look for reflective surfaces too. A mirror, the reflection in your armor or weapon. As many eyes in as many places as possible. One mage and one bruiser in each direction. The rest of you pick opposing sides. Kalleth turned. He didn't want anything jumping out and ambushing his brother. If anyone was going to blink at a surprise ahead, it would be him. I'll be forward. Falcor, watch our backs. Mages, Lucca, Shuun, work it out. Everyone, let's move! Now!
synapse8193

Character sheet
Hit Points:
97/141  (97/141)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Ninja on Sun May 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Fine. Ill take the front with Kalleth since Im the fastest caster. You lead Ill follow man-child. Veraun said while moving beside the warrior. Or we could just kill the bard and hope the monsters take him as a peace offering. He said while glancing at Bard.
Red Ninja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jolly on Mon May 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Squares with pews cost 2 points of movement to enter. Anyone adjacent to the altar could, in theory, grab the circlet.

Kalleth's half-mad dash reveals a bit more about the party's surroundings. The hallway hooks to the right and leads into a roughly hewn passage, damp, dark, and foreboding.

The left door opens up into a large chamber decorated with frescos of tieflings practicing potent arcane magic. Along the floor are grooves which form an elaborate sigil of conjuration, running underneath rotting pews and seats. These grooves glow a pale violet with residual magical power- summonings performed in this room would, undoubtably, prove quite potent. The far end of the room bears an altar upon a dais, on which you can see by the glow of the sigil, a circlet of faintly greenish metal with large, polished blue stone in the center.

Arcana DC 16
Spoiler:
That's a Circlet of Summoned Command. Any creature summoned by the wearer has +30 HP and a +5 bonus to saves, attacks, and damage. If the wearer uses a Summoning Ritual (a summoning spell that requires several minutes to perform), he can summon forth creatures 5 levels higher than normal.

Unfortunately it also reveals something far less welcoming...a statue of a maiden, weeping into her hands. A second glance finds her peeking out from behind her hands, eye empty and lifeless.

And, again, a thunderous smash resounds through the door. This time the metal yields and a stone arm with vile claws reaches through the hole.

DM Note: How Hungry Maidens Work
Hungry Maidens technically do not exist while being observed- in their place is left a statue which resembles stone but resists like adamantine. However, as soon as a Maiden is not being observed, even for a split-second, it reverts to its true form and acts.

To keep a maiden from acting, the observer must never break line of sight. He cannot turn away, allow his gaze to stray, or even blink. Maidens are held at bay only through direct observation- peripheral vision does not function on them. Observing a maiden is a free action, but again, the observer can never look away: he incurs -8 penalty to any skill, attack, or other action he attempts while looking the other way. If the observer takes damage he must make a Constitution check (DC 20) to avoid wincing in pain.

At the beginning of the observer's turn he must make a Will save (DC 18). If the target ever fails this save, he must then make a Fortitude save (DC 18) at a -4 penalty and continues to make this check each round he observes it until he fails. Failing this save is bad. VERY BAD.

At the end of the observer's turn, if he did not look away, he must make a Constitution check to avoid blinking. This starts at DC 10 and increases by 2 each round until the target fails, at which point it returns to 10. If observing more than 1 maiden, the base DC for this check increases by 2 for each additional maiden. So, if you want to observe the two maidens behind the door you would have to make a Con check DC 12 each round, increasing by 2 for each round you spend observing them.

In theory, if two Hungry Maidens were to ever look upon each other or a reflection, both would eternally be frozen in place. However, I will mention than Hungry Maidens DO NOT have darkvision, and thus cannot see without a light source. What's more, surfaces which are normally reflective, like polished metal, do not actually hold a reflection without light. So, if you want to permanently stop a hungry maiden you'll need light, which is in short supply in this dungeon. Worse yet, if a maiden can see a source of light, it can attempt to remotely snuff it out, even while in Statue Form (50% chance, which occurs at the end of each round).
Jolly
Admin

Character sheet
Name:
Class and Level:
Hit Points:
0/0  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranma on Mon May 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Veraun, I hardly think they even know the concept of peace, let alone the proffering of someone you dislike as a sacrifice. Bard seems to be little bothered by the drow's continuing acerbic remarks, instead keeping a careful eye on the statue by the altar, where a most interesting circlet lay.

A conjured ball of light once more flares to existence at the end of Bard's staff, brightly lighting up their surroundings and the doors. Bard wastes no time, rushing into the sanctuary behind a pew and chanting out a summoning spell.

Come forth, I call you, friend in the dust,
Your aid, your eyes unblinking, I need most dearly,
For that I now summon you thus.

Keep our enemies in sight and stone,
For what needs must be as time permits,
With you my friend we are not alone,
For you are at home in the darkest of pits!

A humming sound, keeping the same note, but building in pitch and tone, reverberates through the room as his song continues, and the dust throughout the room starts to coalesce in a nonexistent wind, funnelling, twirling, at first gently and lazily, then picking up to a violent speed. With the form completed, the dust solidifies into scaled flesh: a large, demonic looking snake coiled next to the bard, its eyes locked onto the statue.

Bard frowns slightly as the summoning is completed, feeling slightly drained.

With so many magicians among them, he murmurs glancing up at the frescoes of Tieflings, I'm surprised that we've not found a place to rest and recharge magical items.
Ranma

Character sheet
Name: Lifin Minarisyar
Class and Level: Wizard 1
Hit Points:
16/16  (16/16)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  synapse8193 on Wed May 25, 2011 2:10 pm

ARCANA: 31
Constitution: 12
Fortitude: 18

Kalleth contemplates backhanding Veraun into the clutches of a maiden, but decides against it. Any plans he might form for the drow could be acted on later. He glances into the summoning room. No. That won't do. A bunch of rotting pews in the way that'll slow their progress but not likely hinder the movement of the maidens at all AND make it difficult to get them across from one another. No. They needed to keep moving forward.

This is a military instillation. They would have more than just places to recharge spells and items. Scrolls, armor, weapons against all manner of magics. Torches would be lovely, even. Especially, actually. Or a bloody window. No. This damn place has to be sunken in damn swamp. We don't stand here. Look for a place bigger...less obstructions. We need to get ourselves surrounded. With this in mind he continued his near-mad dash down the dark hallway, lighting a lantern as he rounded the bend and hoped to the gods that he found something, anything useful.
synapse8193

Character sheet
Hit Points:
97/141  (97/141)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down